Saturday 2 March 2013

Virtuous Vanilla Cupcakes

For my recent housewarming party I made these delicious vanilla cupcakes. Now, anyone who knows me will know I have a thing for chocolate, so why - I hear you ask - vanilla? Exactly. But some of my friends (and, yes, I am asking myself how I can be friends with these crazy people as I type) don't like chocolate. WHAT. With this challenge in mind I found this recipe which almost makes the lack of chocolate (or caramel, or salt) palatable. As you can see I added chocolate buttons (easily removed, by me!) for fun, and because life with no chocolate at all is just no good.

For the cupcakes
Ingredients:
330g plain flour, sifted
320g caster sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
175g butter
3 eggs
190ml milk
1.5tsp vanilla extract

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  2. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. 
  3. Beat in the butter until you have  a fine, breadcrumb-like mix.
  4. Add the eggs and beat on medium, then high until they are well mixed-in.
  5. Add the milk and vanilla extract and beat again until you have a smooth mixture. 
  6. Pour the mixture evenly into the cupcake tins and bake for 25 minutes until golden.
  7. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely. 
For the icing
Ingredients:
100g unsalted butter
300g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
75ml double cream

Method:
  1. Beat the butter on it's own for 4-5 minutes on high.
  2. Add the sugar, vanilla and cream and beat on a low speed setting to bring it all together, then beat on high for a couple more minutes.
  3. Spread onto the cooled cupcakes and even out with a knife (or pipe onto the cakes) 
  4. Top with your choice of delectable ornamentation-preferably chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment